- Can fish oil prevent you from going blind?
- Macular Degeneration (AMD) causes blurred vision or a blind spot in the centre of your vision.
Once you have it, it affects many aspects of your life: Driving, writing, reading and all fine work like knitting, sewing, painting and other crafts.
Sufferers often start noticing symptoms when they need more light to see close-by objects better.
And, unfortunately, there is no cure for it. ... ››› more
- [21 June 2018]
- Your guide to wet macular degeneration
- Dry versus wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD) - what's the difference?
Today we're looking at wet macular degeneration - a chronic eye disease that causes blurred vision or a blind spot in the visual field.
While wet macular degeneration only affects 10% to 15% of people with AMD, it accounts for a whopping 90% of severe vision loss caused by AMD! Read on to learn more about wet macu... ››› more
- [22 August 2017]
- Fight macular degeneration with these five foods!
- You already know that carrots and other orange-coloured fruits and vegetables promote good vision, protect your eyes and prevent diseases like macular degeneration and it's true: Beta-carotene, the carotenoid that gives these foods their orange hue helps your retina and other parts of your eye to function properly.
But eating your way to sharp eyesight goes beyond foods that pack beta-carotene.... ››› more
- [19 June 2017]
- How to improve your eyesight through diet and eye exercises
- Want to improve your eyesight and see your way to a future of longevity? Then you've come to the right place!
Most of us use our eyes to stare at small type and images on smart phones, computer screens and televisions. Over time this leads to eye fatigue and can boost your risk of age-related eye problems. This is why it's so important to sharpen your vision if you want to live longer.
Read ... ››› more
- [31 May 2017]
- Age-related macular degeneration may be underdiagnosed in 25% of people...
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible vision impairment in older adults. In America alone, a whopping 14 million people suffer from this disorder!
What's even more frightening is that a recent study published in JAMA Ophthalmology has determined that little is known about whether AMD is properly diagnosed in primary eye care. Read on for the full scoop.
... ››› more
- [25 May 2017]
- Cataract surgery doesn't worsen age-related macular degeneration
- You may have read that cataract surgery can worsen the course of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) - a progressive loss of vision as a result of the deterioration of nerve tissue in the retina. However, a new study by researchers at the John Hopkins University School of Medicine in the USA has found that this isn't true.
Despite the findings of this study, published in the Archives of Opht... ››› more
- [25 May 2017]
- Top eye doctor shares five secrets for seeing better (bye-bye, squinting and headaches!)
- Most of us take our eyes for granted. They work so well that we don't often think about them. Or at least you think...
Chances are, you could be seeing a lot more clearly when you drive, work or read text messages. So what can you do to see - and feel - better?
Here are five secrets for seeing better, courtesy of Mark Jacquot, a top eye doctor based in Chicago in the USA.
Five tips to imp... ››› more
- [24 May 2017]
- University of Birmingham scientists have developed eye drops that may treat age-related macular degeneration
- Age-related macular degeneration, or AMD, is one of the leading causes of blindness in the world and scientists at the University of Birmingham in the UK may have just developed a treatment for it!
According to the results of the collaborative research, published in Investigative Opthamology and Visual Science, scientists have developed a type of eye drop for AMD that could potentially revoluti... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- University College London study finds significant differences in people's peripheral vision
- Your peripheral vision is your ability to see things that aren't in the centre field of your vision. If, for example, you struggle catching a ball that comes in from your left or find that you're better spotting things on your right, a bad spot in your peripheral vision may be the reason why!
If you think you may have a bad spot in your peripheral vision, you may be wondering if everyone's peri... ››› more
- [09 May 2017]
- Study indicates that following a Mediterranean diet may lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration
- If you know a thing or two about the Mediterranean diet, you probably know that it's associated with lowered risk of health issues like cancer and heart disease.
Now, according to a new study presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) in Chicago, eating a Mediterranean diet may also lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blin... ››› more
- [25 November 2016]
Ask our Experts a Question
Watch And Learn