- Elevated blood sugar levels could indicate heart and kidney disease!
- If you have elevated blood sugar levels but they aren't high enough for a diabetes diagnosis, it doesn't necessarily mean your health is in the clear.
According to a new US study, people with high blood sugar levels but not diabetes may still have a higher risk of heart and kidney disease than those with normal blood sugar levels.
Read on for the full findings, as published in The Lancet Dia... ››› more
- [12 April 2018]
- Does fruit juice really spike your blood sugar levels?
- Whether you're trying to take control of your blood sugar levels to manage type 2 diabetes or simply boost overall health, we bet you're curious as to whether or not drinking fruit juice raises your levels.
The short answer is no - drinking fruit juice won't spike your blood sugar levels. Well, not as long as it's 100% fruit juice, that is. This is according to a study published in the Journal ... ››› more
- [14 February 2018]
- These smoothie ingredients won't spike your blood sugar levels
- While smoothies are a quick and easy healthy snack or meal, if you concoct the wrong blend, your drink can spike your blood sugar levels, leaving you feeling queasy rather than energised.
So which ingredients are recommended for keeping your blood sugar levels even-keeled and feelings of hunger and nausea at bay? Here are three that nutritionists recommend.
Three smoothie staples for healthy... ››› more
- [29 January 2018]
- Four sleep tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check
- Research shows that sleep plays a critical role in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and beating type 2 diabetes. According to a study published in the Annals of Epidemiology, if f you get less than six hours of shut-eye on most nights, you're three times more likely to have elevated blood sugar levels!
Experts say the best strategy to improve your sleep and keep your blood sugar levels st... ››› more
- [25 January 2018]
- The amazing effects of ginger on blood sugar levels in diabetics
- For centuries, people around the world have been using ginger to add a kick to their favourite foods and as a remedy for colds, motion sickness and arthritis pain. Now, it looks like ginger has benefits for your blood sugar levels, too.
A recent study conducted by researchers at Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences in Yazd, Iran, showed that ginger can lower blood sugar n people with ... ››› more
- [19 January 2018]
- This single macronutrient key to healthy blood sugar levels, gut health and more
- When it comes to nutrition, we tend to keep things simple and break it down into pieces: Protein, carbohydrates, fat and so on. But there's so much more to eating a healthy diet than consuming an appropriate amount of macronutrients to keep your blood sugar levels, gut health and other aspects of your health in check.
In our modern day diet, there's one nutrient that's causing some serious prob... ››› more
- [03 January 2018]
- Stress and blood sugar levels: What diabetics need to know
- For most people, stress is simply annoying. If you have diabetes, it can be dangerous. That's because your blood sugar levels rise when your stress levels are high.
When you're under stress, you may need to take more insulin or other medications to stabilise your blood sugar levels. Being sick or physically injured can do the same. And your response to stress can make things even worse…
Fo... ››› more
- [01 December 2017]
- Control your blood sugar levels by making these three food swaps
- Can you believe that an estimated 86 million people in the United States alone have prediabetes - a condition in which your blood sugar levels are elevated, but not high enough for type 2 diabetes diagnosis? Well, it's true.
Furthermore, about 29 million Americans have type 1 or type 2 diabetes - and eight million of them don't even know it. While there's no magic way to prevent prediabetes or ... ››› more
- [20 November 2017]
- Four tips to stabilise your blood sugar levels after a sugar binge
- You may aim to have sweet treats in moderation to prevent spiking your blood sugar levels, but from time to time, it's impossible to avoid a sugar binge. We're talking a family-sized bag of M&Ms or a half-dozen box of doughnuts…
If you have a sweet tooth, you're familiar with the stomach ache or shaking feeling - not to mention the crash - that comes after a particularly large serving of swe... ››› more
- [06 November 2017]
- Avocados are good for your blood sugar levels, according to research
- If you have diabetes, controlling your blood sugar levels is critical. Your doctor or dietician may advise that you opt for foods that are low in sugar and carbohydrates to keep your blood sugar in check. They may also recommend foods that help control blood sugar spikes. One food that meets both of these requirements is the avocado…
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, a... ››› more
- [03 November 2017]
Ask our Experts a Question
Watch And Learn