- A single milkshake can kick-start the path to heart attack!
- You know that milkshakes are high in fat and sugar, and therefore bad for your waistline. What you probably didn't know is that indulging in this delicious drink can also set the stage for heart attack. That's according to a new study published in the journal Laboratory Investigation.
The study, conducted by researchers at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University in the United State... ››› more
- [01 April 2018]
- These are the biggest culprits of statin drug interactions
- Many men and women between ages 40 and 75 take statin drugs to lower their risk of heart attack and stroke. In fact, in the United States, one in five people take these cholesterol-lowering drugs.
While the use of statin drugs is common, what many users don't know is that mixing these drugs with certain supplements or even foods can make them less effective. Read on to learn about the biggest c... ››› more
- [01 April 2018]
- Social isolation boosts your risk of cardiovascular disease-related mortality
- A body of recent research suggests that feeling lonely contributes to cardiovascular disease. According to a brand-new study, loneliness contributes less to the risk of cardiovascular disease than recent research suggests, however, social isolation really does boost your risk of dying after a heart attack or stroke.
The alleged relationship between loneliness and cardiovascular disease essentia... ››› more
- [29 March 2018]
- Too much or too little vitamin D boosts cardiovascular disease risk
- Too much or too little vitamin D, otherwise known as the sunshine vitamin, increases your risk of cardiovascular disease, a new Norwegian study suggests.
Getting the right amount of vitamin D, on the other hand, could substantially reduce your risk of death. Keep reading for the full findings, as published online in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
Just enough vitamin D in... ››› more
- [21 March 2018]
- Your favourite Chinese takeaways may pose heart risks…
- Chinese dishes like chow mein and sweet and sour pork are favourite takeaway dishes of many, but if your blood pressure is high, you might want to pass them on.
A new analysis that looked at over 150 Chinese dishes found that many of them contain such high levels of salt that they may pose heart risks. Some dishes should even contain a warning label, the researchers said. Read on for more.
N... ››› more
- [20 March 2018]
- Fish oil boosts the heart health of seniors after only 12 weeks!
- Millions of South Africans take a daily fish oil supplement because they believe the omega-3 fatty acids it contains benefits their heart health.
Up until now, scientific studies on this topic have been contradictory, but new research finds that taking fish oil supplements every day can improve the heart health of seniors in just 12 weeks!
Read on for the full findings, as published in Phys... ››› more
- [19 March 2018]
- Practising these healthy habits can cut a woman's stroke risk in half
- A recent study published in the online edition of the journal Neurology has uncovered the five healthy habits that can cut a woman's stroke risk in half.
While other studies have looked at single stroke risk factors, only a few have examined the combined effects of a healthy lifestyle on stroke risk, according to study author Susanna Larsson, a researcher at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden.
... ››› more
- [15 March 2018]
- Does a healthy diet counteract the effects of salt on blood pressure?
- If you're one of those people who puts salt on everything you eat, you're probably wondering if eating a healthy diet counteracts the effects of eating too much salt on your blood pressure. A new study published in the journal Hypertension says no…
To arrive at this conclusion, researchers from several institutions, including Imperial College Lonon and Northwestern University, looked at the d... ››› more
- [14 March 2018]
- Omega-3 fatty acids slash overall risk of cardiac death
- For years, we've known that omega 3 fatty acids, the healthy fats found in fish oil and fatty fish, are heart-healthy, and a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Lipidology confirms the validity of that advice.
The study, which reviewed 14 randomised, controlled trials, found that DHA and EPA omega-3 fatty acids reduced the overall risk of cardiac death by a statistically significant ... ››› more
- [13 March 2018]
- You can ward off stroke by eating breakfast every day
- You know that eating breakfast every day contributes to a more nutritionally complete diet higher in vitamins and minerals, improves concentration and performance in the boardroom and boosts endurance to engage in physical.
Well, that's not all - a daily morning meal can also ward off stroke, according to new research from Japan's Osaka University. Keep reading for more on the relationship betw... ››› more
- [12 March 2018]
Ask our Experts a Question
Watch And Learn