- Memory techniques can help people with mild cognitive impairment
- People with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) don't need an expensive medication or any medical procedure to save their memories…
According to a new study published online in Brain: A Journal of Neurology, people with early symptoms of Alzheimer's disease can improve their memories by simply using memory techniques.
The study explains that using memory techniques can help the brain develop n... ››› more
- [24 November 2017]
- Chronic stress may cause Alzheimer's disease by damaging your brain
- A body of research suggests a link between mid-life stress and a higher risk of Alzheimer's disease. Now, a new study published in the journal Current Opinion in Psychiatry shows the mechanism of how chronic stress physically damages your brain, potentially leading to Alzheimer's disease.
According to the scientists behind the study, neurons involved in chronic anxiety and fear “extensively o... ››› more
- [08 November 2017]
- Three weird factors that increase your Alzheimer's disease risk
- Science suggests that healthy habits promote brain health and may even reduce the build-up of proteins related to Alzheimer's disease. We're talking habits like exercising regularly, eating a nutritious diet and maintaining a healthy weight.
On the other hand, there are a number of factors that can increase your risk for Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia. Some risk factors are obv... ››› more
- [01 November 2017]
- An egg a day can help keep Alzheimer's disease away
- You're familiar with the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. But you might be surprised to learn that an egg a day can help keep Alzheimer's disease away.
Eggs have long been referred to as nature's multivitamin due to the host of health benefits they offer. These benefits range from healthy HDL (that's the good kind) cholesterol and reduced risk of heart disease, to lower trigl... ››› more
- [24 October 2017]
- Being unaware of memory problems boosts your Alzheimer's disease risk
- It's well-known that memory loss is a typical symptom of Alzheimer's disease. That being said, memory loss doesn't necessarily mean that you'll develop dementia.
A new study conducted by researchers at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has revealed a clinically useful way to predict if you will or won't develop Alzheimer's disease based on your awareness of memory problems.
K... ››› more
- [16 October 2017]
- Are your dementia symptoms due to your high blood pressure?
- If you're experiencing dementia symptoms, such as memory loss, declining motor function, disorientation and behavioural changes, you might just put it down to the fact that you're getting old.
However, if you're a woman in your 40s with high blood pressure, this may very well be the reason behind your dementia symptoms. This is according to new research, which has found a link between women in... ››› more
- [11 October 2017]
- Turmeric may help fight off Alzheimer's disease, neuroscientist says
- Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that affects over 44 million people globally, 750,000 of which are South Africans. While there's no cure for this type of dementia associated with memory loss and other severe cognitive problems, efforts are underway to prevent, delay or treat it.
According to British neuroscientist Joseph Jebelli who specialises in Alzheimer's research and has authored a... ››› more
- [10 October 2017]
- These four herbs can reverse dementia and memory loss
- Are you petrified of the deleterious disease known as dementia? Well, you're not the only one...
Two of the most common causes of dementia are Alzheimer's disease and stroke. Fortunately, the natural world offers a multitude of resources to combat dementia, Alzheimer's disease and stroke altogether!
You can significantly reduce your risk of dementia as well as signs and symptoms of the disea... ››› more
- [03 October 2017]
- High-quality lemon balm can help manage symptoms of Alzheimer's disease
- Who doesn't love the fresh, energising fragrance and taste of lemon? If you're anything like me, you love these sunny yellow-coloured fruits - whether they wind up in lemonade, lemon tea, cake or even furniture polish. And this love extends to any plant that tastes or smells like lemon, such as lemongrass, lemon verbena and, of course, lemon balm.
Lemon balm is delightful in everything from col... ››› more
- [29 September 2017]
- Age-related memory loss versus dementia: What's the difference?
- Forgetfulness is common. Each of one us has misplaced our cell phone, forgotten where we parked
our car and drawn a blank at the grocery store after leaving the shopping list at home. But there's a
point when forgetfulness becomes concerning - especially in older adults.
Your brain changes as you age - that's inevitable. So how do you tell the difference between age-
related memory loss and ... ››› more
- [21 September 2017]
Ask our Experts a Question
Watch And Learn